Forum Discussion

vb1
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Automating Powerbuilder apps

Hi, I need to automate a legacy application developed using Powerbuilder 10.5 using TestComplete. However I am unable to identify the proper object model. 

I automated a WPF app just before this and for the correct object model to be identified in TestComplete Object Browser I had to add a few .NET GAC assemblies as well as a custom control class used in the application. 

Is there a similar setting required for Powerbuilder as well?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Vaibhav

7 Replies

vb1
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks. I did go through that Help section, and it was of some help. 

But I still have a few questions:

1. Is only pbdw (Powebuilder Datawindow) object only to be added to the MSAA list of accepted windows and none other such as FNWNS or FNWND windows that TestComplete identifies for Powerbuilder apps.

2. I am unable to interact with couple of controls such as DropDown - no property could be found to set value for a DropDown

3. TestComplete throws a "Match not found" error when trying to set value for "Text" property of Edit control.

4. Is Powerbulider needed to be installed on the machine being used for automation, since I suspect couple of dlls and library files are missing. I get the attached error sometimes - PowerBuilderAccessiblityError.jpg

Vaibhav

• Hi Vaibhav,

1. Is only pbdw (Powebuilder Datawindow) object only to be added to the MSAA list of accepted windows and none other such as FNWNS or FNWND windows that TestComplete identifies for Powerbuilder apps.

If you add the "pbdw*" window class to the list of accepted MSAA windows, the MSAA engine provides access to DataWindow elements. To make the engine expose internal elements of any window and control, you can add the "*" class to the list of accepted windows. Please see the "Configuring TestComplete Project" section of the "Testing PowerBuilder Applications with TestComplete" article for details.

2. I am unable to interact with couple of controls such as DropDown - no property could be found to set value for a DropDown

We tried to interact with the MainMenu, PopupMenu and Combobox controls, and the recorded scripts were played back fine. Please let me know the name and the value of the wndClass property of the target control. Also, please zip the entire project suite folder and send me the archive.

3. TestComplete throws a "Match not found" error when trying to set value for "Text" property of Edit control.

Everything works fine on our side. We used the Text property to set the Edit control's value. You can also try using the wText property to do this. Does this approach work fine for you?

4. Is Powerbulider needed to be installed on the machine being used for automation

Yes, PowerBuilder should be installed on the machine. It's a peculiarity of building applications in this IDE. You can try contacting the Sybase support regarding this.

anikitchenko
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi

The problem is that TC does not see the pop-up Windows in PB.

I apponted the pop-up window using Object Spy.

But still have that problem.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Jack,

I see that you created another thread for this issue. Let's keep the conversation there.

BTW, please don't duplicate your questions on the forum - it's listed in the Forum Rules.